Seeing the conditions, I have gone into serious training, buying our first deep fat fryer to cook pizza, and Mars Bars, in the traditional Scottish way. I believe they call the mast a Caber in Scotland.
Now that the season has started, we need to start thinking about this regatta. How many are thinking of going. Respond here please. We need to think about containers and accommodation, have a look on the web site.
I am planning on going. Will be doing a short trip to France then UK, then Tanya and the kids will head home while I go on to the regatta. Tanya's happy, kids are happy....and I get to go sailing with the wife's blessing......all that's left is to qualify (Oh and there is that little matter of paying for it all).
Expressions of interest for the 2011 Worlds will determine our course of action re a selection policy if necessary. Early days yet but it is likely that this will be a well attended event and our numbers will probably be limited by OKDIA allocation of country places for the event.
Depending on what the Kiwis decide to do, maximum numbers from New Zealand and Australia will possibly be six from each country in a 40' container or a combined number of six in a 20' container. We need to try and get a good idea of likely interest from our two countries as early as possible, hopefully by the end of November.
I've suggested that if it is necessary for us to have a selection policy for the 2011 Worlds then we should base this policy on results from the Hobart Nationals and the Melbourne Interdominions with both events to count. We will not make a decision in this regard until we get a good idea of likely starters for Scotland.
This forum post is a good place to start to determine members' interest for Scotland so could all who might be keen to go to the 2011 Worlds please add suitable comments to this post.
It would also be good to know of possible interest from New Zealand too so that we can get an idea of likely boat transport requirements possibly from Melbourne immediately following the Interdominions. Any comment in this regard from New Zealand members would be welcome to assist with forward planning. Thanks.
So far it looks like Glenn W, Mark R, Tim and Andre have recorded an expression of interest. We will also hopefully send a Junior representative who will be our first boat in the container. Jan and I will probably go and I will take last place in a container if necessary. Could others who might be interested in the Scotland Worlds please assist by letting us know at this time via this forum post? Thanks.
Our National Committee will discuss a formal 2011 Worlds selection policy in early December if it seems likely that this is necessary. Please pass on this message to all members at your Clubs and State Associations. Thanks.
Bill my only thoughts would be that its perhaps staring to get too late (22-25 April) to use the Interdoms as a selection event if that becomes necessary. Flights, accomm, planning will need to take place earlier than that..... Mark
I don't disagree with your comment. Hence the need for members to let us know of their intentions for Scotland ASAP. As soon as we establish the definite level of interest for the event we can plan accordingly. We need to know what we intend to do well before we go to Hobart in January.
Post by yatesbylake on Oct 25, 2010 16:04:11 GMT 10
I hope to make the team going to Largs. I have booked leave for this period and plan to spend 4 or 5 weeks in England. I suppose if the boat does not go I might try to get a jersey as team trolley dolly, but after putting that thought in my mind, I think fully clothed in sailing gear would be more attractive for all concerned.
We currently have 6 definite expressions of interest for Largs. This will enable us to send a full 20ft container to Scotland for the 2011 Worlds. Those members intending to compete in Scotland need to make their transport and accommodation bookings ASAP.
Any other members who still wish to be considered for our 2011 Worlds team should also have the opportunity to do so.
The cut-off date for expressions of interest will be 30 November, 2010.
Any members wishing to express an interest for Scotland must do so by the cut-off date.
If necessary a team selection policy will be determined by the National Association probably based on results at the Hobart Nationals.
All members who have expressed interest by the 30 November, 2010 will be required to confirm their interest by payment of a deposit of $500.00 by 31 December 2010.
Any questions in this regard should be directed to me by e-mail to email@example.com
Please refer to our official notification in this regard on our Australian Association webpage.
State Secretaries are requested to ensure that all members are aware of these requirements.